Friday, November 11, 2016

A Sky With No Stars: Saving The Future: Part One by Juliet Dillon

As somebody who blogs about books, I was so excited to be sent a book to review. Yay! *Throws confetti*

By chance I discovered Juliet Dillon via Instagram when I saw she was looking for people to review her debut book, A Sky with No Stars, part one of a three-part trilogy. I messaged her and she readily agreed to send me a paperback copy. Receiving it in the mail was like getting an early Christmas present!




First off, can I gush about how beautiful this cover is? It definitely gives that feeling of mysterious, ethereal galaxies due to the colors and the image of a girl falling through space. Very eye-catching. Now, let's get into the story.

A Sky with No Stars: Saving the Future: Part One opens up by introducing the main character, Kari, who comes home to find the front door of her house unlocked. She's the only one with a key. Her father is away and her brother, Bobby, is out with a friend, leaving her to investigate a possible break-in on her own. Sure enough, standing in her kitchen is a tall, blond-haired stranger. He shows her a gold pendant designed to look like the face of a clock, which she recognizes as belonging to her deceased mother. She tries to grab it from him and suddenly there's a flash of blinding light.

Moments later, she finds herself transported several years into the future. Earth is now a wasteland and survivors are living a bleak existence under the control of powers-that-be. From here, Kari is convinced by the stranger--whose name is Kip--that he has the power to travel through time, but he can't tell her why or how she's involved.

Overall, I did enjoy this book. It's a quick read. I liked that the beginning of the story was about a suspected break-in and that you shared in Kari's fear of what's happening. The use of a real-life scenario leads to the suspension of disbelief, and that is key in any fantasy or sci-fi novel. That being said, my problem was the amount of description used to tell a character's thoughts, emotions, and actions. Sometimes it felt too long or too repetitive. For instance, later in the story, Kari and Kip become separated and Kari spends multiple pages telling herself--and the reader--that she has to calm down, focus, and find him. I got it the first time. My anticipation was in danger of turning into impatience.

Also, I was more drawn to Kip than Kari. He's the one with all the secrets and the actual time travel ability. Very intriguing. Although I am still curious about Kari's role in everything.

I want to thank Ms. Dillon again for generously giving me a copy of A Sky With No Stars. I admire her for taking on time travel in her first novel, which is no small task. I've never been a huge fan of science fiction, but Ms. Dillon may be changing my mind. I'm looking forward to parts two and three.

Find A Sky With No Stars here.      

No comments:

Post a Comment