Wednesday, October 26, 2016

In My Core: Pax by Sara Pennypacker




"How's your book?" My dad asks me as we drive through the autumn roads. I look up at him with a little smile.

"Very sad. But very good," I tell him, "The first chapter already made me tear up."

The book in question is Pax by Sara Pennypacker, which came out in February. In this middle-grade tale, a fox named Pax is in the backseat of the car with his owner, eleven-year-old Peter. At first, he thinks there's nothing wrong until he senses Peter crying and arguing with his father. The car suddenly stops at an opening to the woods. Peter gets out with Pax and throws a toy soldier far into the brush. Pax, believing this is a usual game of fetch, happily chases after it. But when he comes back, Peter is gone. From then on, the story alternates effortlessly between Peter and Pax's perspectives and is enhanced by Jon Klassen's beautiful black-and-white illustrations.

With his father going off to join the military, Peter is forced to release Pax into the wild and sent to live with his grandfather. By nightfall, Peter realizes "in his core" that he isn't where he's supposed to be, and it was a major mistake to leave Pax behind. So the next day, he sets off before dawn to make the three hundred mile journey back home on foot, hoping to reunite with his beloved friend despite the threat of an oncoming war. But his trek is soon interrupted when he breaks his foot behind a barn. He is then taken into the care of the barn's owner, Vola. A veteran who wears a prosthetic leg and a lifetime of wisdom, Vola helps Peter get back on his feet, physically and metaphorically, on three conditions. Meanwhile, Pax meets other foxes in the woods, namely a vixen called Bristle and her little brother Runt, and the trio embarks on their own adventures as Pax faithfully waits for his boy to come back to him.

This book infuses so many themes that it's difficult to focus on just one. However, the idea of family is the most striking to me personally. As somebody who is very close to my family, it's tough reading through some parts. Pax and Peter are already inseparable. Peter's relationship with his father is troubled, especially after the death of Peter's mother, and their struggle to communicate gets worse when his father leaves for the war. Vola copes with her own past as a soldier who killed another person in combat and still feels responsible. As for Bristle and Runt...well, I don't want to give away the whole thing. I will say you'll want a box of tissues handy, though. Oh, and you may get a strong craving for peanut butter while you read.

Why, you ask? I just know *thumps heart with fist* in my core.


Purchase Pax at this link: Pax

10 comments:

  1. Never heard of this book. Is it a chapter book? Sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Bron. We'll have a look when the kids are a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zach. I think the kids would enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I love Jon Klassens illustrations, but I don't like sad books...it's a personal weakness. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it isn't depressing! It just has very moving moments throughout the book. Jon Klassen's illustrations add to its preciousness. Never fear--I promise to review the hilarious, frivolous, and overall absurd as well. :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review. I may check it out and see if it's something the kids would enjoy reading. However, I know *in my core* that nothing would ever make me crave peanut butter. Blech. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great review Bronwyn! Will have to hunt this one down - looking forward to reading more of your posts, you're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete